SHE-CAN College Scholarship Program At-A-Glance
SHE-CAN seeks talented young women leaders from Cambodia and Liberia who have few opportunities but incredible potential and passion for change. We help these young women win U.S. university scholarships. Through access to a world-class college education, mentorship and leadership training in the U.S., we provide our scholars the tools and support needed to return and make change in their home countries.
Program Length: 5 years
Program Eligibility: Ambitious young women aged 17-21 from low-income backgrounds who have achieved academic excellence and demonstrated leadership skills through activities or service in their community
- Test preparation classes for SAT/IELTS and support executing a community service leadership project
- Guidance to apply for and win a scholarship to a top U.S. university such as Lafayette College, Bucknell University, and Syracuse University
- Build relationship with 4-6 American mentors
- Completion of 4-year university education in the U.S.
- Participation in SHE-CAN-funded Leadership Summit in California
- Complete at least one summer internship
- Return home within one year of graduating
- Launch your career at home, make a difference in your community, and give back to SHE-CAN sisters
- All costs for tuition, room & board, and travel are covered by the university or SHE-CAN
Click here to learn more about the scholars we’ve supported on their leadership journey.
Apply for SHE-CAN program if you are:
- A woman between the ages of 17-21
- Passionate about improving your country
- High school graduate or graduating high school by January 2021
- Living within 1 hour of capital city (e.g. Phnom Penh, Monrovia)
- From a low-income household
- Interested in pursuing an undergraduate degree at a U.S. college or university (SHE-CAN does not work with students seeking graduate degrees)
- Already a leader in your school or community
- A strong English speaker: Your ability to speak and write in English is critical because all U.S. universities require a high score on the TOEFL or IELTS language exam. Therefore, if your English is not strong, we recommend that you spend a year studying and apply next year.
- Academically strong: Consistently ranked high in your class with strong grades and a strong score on National Exam or WAEC/WASSCE
- Dedicated to this program: Able to dedicate your days in January 2021 – June 2021 to SHE-CAN’s pre-college program. Accepted scholars must not work full-time during this period
- Able to access a strong Internet connection and computer daily to check emails
What you’ll need to apply:
- High school transcripts for grades 10, 11 and 12
- National exam score report or WAEC score report
- English translations of transcripts or exam scores if necessary (can be self-translated)
- Estimate of family’s monthly income
- Optional: Score reports for the SAT, ACT, IELTS, TOEFL if you have taken them
- No application fee – free to apply!