The Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP) support up to 100 scholarships each year to high-caliber students from Asia to study away from their home country or region at leading East Asian universities.
In its mission to create intercultural opportunities for the next generation of leaders, the AFLSP partners with 6 universities in five cities, where scholars are welcome to pursue their choice of an undergraduate, master’s degree or exchange program (program offerings vary by university). The scholarship offers each student up to US$25,000 per year or a total of US$50,000 per scholar, which may be used towards university tuition, housing, and personal living expenses.
Scholars also participate in the annual BXAI Summer Program, a fun and enriching experience where they have the unique opportunity to explore important global topics, engage with guest speakers and fellow scholars, and be inspired by the culture and people of the host country. Bai Xian Alumni are invited to take part in the Bai Xian Alumni Initiative Award (AIA), a program that encourages them to work together in teams across campuses and borders to develop socially responsible action plans that address critical challenges faced by Asia’s communities, environments, and economies today.
With effect from the 2020-21 academic year, the AFLSP will operate under a new structure. Our new university network will span five key cities in East Asia, namely, Beijing, Hong Kong, Kyoto, Shanghai, and Tokyo, and our partnerships will be consolidated to six in total, including: Hitotsubashi ICS, Kyoto University, Peking University, Shanghai Jiao Tong University, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, and Waseda University.
|AFLSP Program Offerings|
|HITOTSUBASHI UNIVERSITY||Scholarships are offered for MBA Program at the School of International Corporate Strategy, (Hitotsubashi ICS), Hitotsubashi University Business School.|
|KYOTO UNIVERSITY||Scholarships are offered for all master’s degree programs.|
|PEKING UNIVERSITY||Scholarships are offered for the master’s degree in China studies program at the Yenching Academy|
|Scholarships are offered for all designated undergraduate, and master’s degree programs. (applies to Japanese full-time students only)|
|SHANGHAI JIAO TONG UNIVERSITY||Scholarships are offered to existing and prospective students for designated undergraduate, and master’s degree programs.|
|THE HONG KONG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY||Scholarships are offered for all master’s degree programs.|
|WASEDA UNIVERSITY||Scholarships are offered for the undergraduate Double Degree Program and English-based Degree Program at the School of Political Science and Economics (SPSE).|
Asian students interested in pursuing a full-time degree program at our Partner Universities are eligible for the Asian Future Leaders Scholarship Program (AFLSP). Each Partner University operates its own independent selection process for the AFLSP. Interested students may review each university’s program offerings here and contact the university’s relevant office or program administrator directly to express their interest and/or apply for admission. The AFLSP offers successful candidates up to US$25,000 per year or a maximum of US$50,000.
English language proficiency:
The official language of the BXAI Summer Program, a mandatory component of the AFLSP, is English. As such, applicants should be fully conversant and have a firm grasp of the English language. Each applicant’s English skills are considered during the selection process, though the required level may differ depending on the university and program he/she applies for.
Upon acceptance of the AFLSP scholarship offer, students are required to sign the student commitment letter and adhere to the following conditions:
- Participate in the BXAI Summer Program – All scholars are required to participate in the annual BXAI Summer Program, which is held in August and spans up to three weeks.
- Remain enrolled at the relevant Partner University and the relevant degree program as a full-time student for the duration of their studies under the AFLSP – No unexplained absences of leave are accepted, unless otherwise disclosed to and agreed upon with the university and BXAI.
- Achieve at least a 3.0 GPA on a 4.0/4.3 scale (or a B average, depending on the GPA scale used by the university) during the first scholarship year – Otherwise, BXAI reserves the right to withhold scholarship disbursement for the second year of study.
- Disclose to BXAI and the relevant Partner University if they are a recipient of any other scholarship or form of funding offered by a third party – In such an event, BXAI reserves the right to review the scholarship offer on a case-by-case basis.
- Participate in all mandatory programs under the AFLSP and fulfill all requirements of the relevant degree program within the standard timeframe as set by the relevant Partner University.
BXAI’s selection process seeks to identify promising students who exemplify academic excellence, leadership potential, integrity and character, and a keen interest in understanding other cultures and perspectives. Though we consider each applicant on the basis of his/her unique qualities, talents, and attainments, our selection criteria generally encompass:
- Intellectual curiosity
- Fair-mindedness, respect for honor and truth
- Awareness of risks, willingness to embrace challenges in a responsible manner
Propensity for international and intercultural understanding
- Ability to engage and lead with mutual respect for differences
- Ability to listen and value another person’s opinions and experiences
- Ability to conduct reflective dialogues on both local and global issues
- Understanding of the world’s sustainability issues
- Appreciation of BXAI’s mission and vision
Compassion and commitment to service
- Keen interest and past participation in community service projects and activities
- Personal interactions that demonstrate compassion for others
- Commitment to the active pursuit of truth and peace within one’s own circle of influence
- Action plan for expanding one’s circle of influence and upholding BXAI’s core values
AFLSP Selection Procedures
|Application||Eligible applicants are required to submit a completed AFLSP application form, which includes a three-minute video, together with other application materials to the university directly according to the university’s admissions timeline.||Please click here to learn more about eligibility and selection criteria of the AFLSP.
Please note that each Partner University’s selection criteria, eligibility, and selection timeline may vary. Click here or visit each university’s official website for more information.
|Nomination by Partner Universities||After reviewing the application materials, Partner Universities compile a shortlist of recommended candidates and submit the following to BXAI:
– Each shortlisted candidate’s AFLSP application form, including their three-minute video;
– A recommendation letter for each candidate written in English and issued by the relevant institution on official letterhead; and
– Each candidate’s transcripts
|Screening by BXAI||Upon receiving the nominations from Partner Universities, the BXAI team, along with BXAI’s Academic Committee, reviews each recommended candidate based on his/her application materials.|
|Interviews by BXAI||Selected candidates are invited to interview with BXAI’s Selection Panel, which is composed of members of BXAI’s Board of Governors, Executive Committee, and Communication and Development Committee.||Please note that not all candidates are selected to interview with BXAI’s Selection Panel, and that not being invited to interview does not indicate a candidate’s rejection from the program.|
|Release of Selection Results||Final selection results are announced by the Partner Universities.
Successful applicants are required to sign a student commitment letter and complete the online scholarship acceptance form by a designated deadline.
Source / More information: Official Website.