The following amendments have been made to this page (last updated 9 April 2020):
- Contact information: Please send all queries via email only to the nominated contact on this page.
- Administrative dates: Any changes in the dates have been indicated on this page accordingly
Each year the Australian National University offers the University Research Scholarship to support high achieving HDR students who are conducting research which aligns with the strategic directions of the University.
Field of study
The award will be available each year to a prospective or continuing student who:
- is a domestic student or an international student enrolled in an accredited HDR course of study at the University
- has achieved a minimum of H1 or H1 equivalent in their prior studies
Selection of this award requires each of the ANU Colleges to convene a selection committee to score and rank ALL eligible H1 (or equivalent) applicants in a merit-based process. Overall ranking includes consideration of:
- Academic Record
- Research Potential, support from the prospective supervisor and location in which the research will be undertaken
- Referee reports
- English Language competency
- Comparison with other applications received in the same scholarship round
In addition to the fornightly stipend, the scholarship also provides:
- Travel and Removal allowances for students relocating to Canberra to commence their research program;
- Thesis allowance;
- Dependant Child allowance (International students only);
- Paid medical, maternity and parental leave
$28,092 per annum
How to apply
No application is required specifically for this scholarship as all eligible candidates will be considered based upon their application for admission
In order to be considered for this scholarship in the main round of scholarship offers International students are required to apply for admission by either 15 April in the year of commencing their HDR Program or 31 August in the year prior to commencing their HDR Program. Domestic students are required to apply for admission by either 15 April in the year of commencing their HDR Program or 31 October in the year prior to commencing their HDR Program. Applications must be complete at the time of submission, including all supporting documentation and referee reports, in order to be considered in the scholarship ranking process.
Applicants are also strongly encouraged to make contact with the relevant Graduate Studies Convener or a prospective supervisor, prior to lodging an application, to discuss the proposed research topic and related matters.
Deadlines for scholarship rounds
|Scholarship round||Closing date||Commence by|
|2020 Round 2 International and Domestic||Closing 15 April 2020||Apply in this round if you wish to commence in 2020|
|2021 Round 1 International||Closing 31 August 2020||Apply in this round if you wish to commence in 2021|
|2021 Round 1 Domestic||Closing 31 October 2020||Apply in this round if you wish to commence in 2021|
|2021 Round 2 International and Domestic||Closing 15 April 2021||Apply in this round if you wish to commence in 2021|