Chulalongkorn University and SEI Asia are recruiting for a joint PhD Student/Research Associate position within Public Policy and Economics of Water Resource management.
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Deadline: 4 December 2020
Chulalongkorn University (CU) and SEI are jointly recruiting a highly motivated candidate for a Joint Ph.D. Student/Research Associate position (hereafter refer to as “joint-position”) in fields related to either Water Resources Management and/or Policy Analysis for Environment and Development.
The successful candidate’s main responsibility is to work on research activities that will be mutually agreed upon by CU, SEI and the successful candidate, from the design stage through to implementation, as well as to communicate the results to the targeted users of the research findings.
The successful candidate can enroll as a doctoral/Ph.D. student at Chulalongkorn University, where their tuition fee will be exempted (or be awarded the full scholarship). Completion of the degree will be mainly based on research publications. The publications will be considered as joint publications of CU and SEI.
It is not compulsory for the joint position to take any study course. However, they are entitled to do so without any charge if it is recommended by co-supervisors of both parties.
The successful candidate will report directly to two co-supervisors assigned by CU and SEI and respective project leaders/managers for which s/he/they work with, and is under the overall supervision of the SEI Asia Centre Director and the Ph.D. Program Director at CU.
Research area/topics and required qualifications
Joint Position on Public Policy and Economics of Water Resource Management in ASEAN
- To address key policy and practice questions governing sustainable development of water resources in the ASEAN region.
- Research topics focus on the role, impact, and influence of public policy in delivering and managing water resources in ASEAN. Specific priority will be in areas that relate to and build on transdisciplinary approaches to understanding and delivering sustainable development outcomes, with an interest in Ecological Economics.
Required qualifications and experience
To succeed in this role, you can work both in teams and independently in a highly flexible and exciting research environment, and also able to combine theoretical knowledge with practical, people-based skills.
- Master’s degree with at least three years of relevant experience in, natural resources management, sustainable development, public policy or applied economics.
- GPA of the master’s degree is 3.50 or higher
- Good record of research publications, at least one peer-review publication as first author or corresponding author
- Excellent skills and proven fluency in spoken and written English (an English testing score is required for the application)
- Work experience in the ASEAN region is desirable
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of the ASEAN region
- Experience working with inter- or transdisciplinary projects
- Experience of engaging with a variety of stakeholders is desirable
The start date and duration of the Ph.D. program is from 5 January 2021–31 December 2023.
- Exemption of tuition fee and other fees related to the proposal defense and final defense for the three-year Ph.D. program at CU
- Monthly scholarship equivalent of 30,000 THB/month
- All travel required by SEI will be covered financially by SEI
- The candidate will have access to work facilities at SEI and CU
- Other potential benefits include a possibility for an internship/exchange or visit with/to other SEI centres, or other opportunities for traveling abroad for fieldwork or presenting your work at international conferences. These benefits are subject to the interest of all concerned parties, funding availability and relevancy of research of the joint position holders.
Note: The student needs to cover the traveling cost from his/her/their home country, visa application fee and health insurance for the study in Thailand by him/her/themself.
How to apply
Please submit all application documents in ONE email with the subject “CU-SEI Joint PhD Scholarship application (applicants’ full name)” to email@example.com no later than 4 December 2020.Application form
Required documents for the application
- Completed application form of the Ph.D. study program of CU EDS with a 1-inch photograph attached
- A photocopy of passport and ID card
- An English test score (CU-TEP, IELTS or TOEFL score at least 67,5.5,525, respectively)
- 1-page cover letter specifying your intention to apply for this position and highlighting relevant qualifications and experience required
- Curriculum vitae or resume including 2 references (not longer than 5 pages)
- A proposal for future research that are you interested in pursuing in your Ph.D. study (not more than 500 words)
- 1-2 writing samples where you are lead author or corresponding author (in English). This should include at least one peer-review paper.
- An official transcript of academic records of your master study
- Two letters of recommendation.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for the opportunities to interview.
The Ph.D. study program at CU is expected to start on 5 January 2021 and will last for 3 years. For more details, please refer to the Ph.D. study program of CU Environment, Development and Sustainability (EDS) offered for this joint position at https://www.facebook.com/ChulaEDS/ and http://www.eds.grad.chula.ac.th/.
For further inquiries about the position, please contact Mr. Wiwat, EDS Program Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About SEI and CU
SEI is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the most influential environment think tank in the world in the Global Go To Think Tanks Index 2019, compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has about 270 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. Our Headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden with other centres in Estonia (SEI Tallinn); the United Kingdom (SEI York and SEI Oxford); the United States (office in Boston, Seattle and Davis); Thailand (SEI Asia); and Kenya (SEI Africa).
SEI Asia, based in Bangkok, has a diverse team of multinational experts that integrates scientific research with participatory approached to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and reducing disaster risk, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, renewable energy and urbanization. SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University, Thailand.
SEI Asia is an equal opportunity employer and we consider all applicants on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless but not limited to race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Chulalongkorn University (CU) was established in March 1917 by King Vajiravudh (Rama VI) and named after his father, King Chulalongkorn (Rama V), who had laid the foundations for modern education in Thailand. Currently, CU is composed of 19 faculties, 23 colleges and research institutes with over 37,000 students, including 24,620 undergraduates and 10,530 postgraduates (7,990 in the master’s degree and 2,540 in the Doctoral Degree programs), and over 2,800 faculty members. As the year 2017 marks the beginning of the second century of CU, new strategies have been formulated for 2017–2020 to raise the University to many aspects of excellence according to the vision of CU as a world-class national university that generates the knowledge and innovation necessary for the creative and sustainable transformation of Thai society. Divided into the four areas of Human Capital, Knowledge and Innovation, Local Transformation and Global Benchmarking, CU strategies 2017–2020 are devised to fulfill the University´s missions, which are as follows:
- Develop graduates that have the academic ability, latest skills, public consciousness and leadership,
- Pioneer and integrate knowledge, create teaching and learning and research innovation,
- Produce local and international academic research,
- Exploit knowledge for the sustainable development of the country and society.