The RTP scholarships are funded by the Australian Government, while the DUPR scholarships are funded by Deakin University. Both awards are available to domestic and international students. Only top-ranked applicants will be offered an RTP.
Benefits and Duration
Stipend and Allowances Value
- A stipend of $28,092 (2020 rate) per annum tax exempt
- A relocation allowance from $500 to $1,500 (for single to family) awarded to students who are moving from interstate or overseas in order to study at Deakin
- For international students only: : Single Overseas Student Health Cover policy for the duration of the student visa.
Doctoral Degree Duration
- 3 years for stipend and 4 years for the tuition fees offset
Research Master Degree Duration
- 2 years for stipend and 2 years for the tuition fees offset
- To be eligible for an RTP Stipend, RTP Fees Offset, RTP Allowance or DUPRS a student must be a domestic or international student enrolled in an HDR course of study at Deakin University
- To be eligible for an RTP Fees Offset an applicant must not be receiving an equivalent award or scholarship from the Commonwealth designed to offset HDR fees
- To be eligible for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend a student must not be receiving income from another source to support that student’s general living costs while undertaking their course of study if that income is greater than 75 per cent of that student’s RTP or DUPRS Stipend rate. Income unrelated to the student’s course of study or income received for the student’s course of study but not for the purposes of supporting general living costs is not to be taken into account.
- Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for information on admission requirements to a HDR course at Deakin University.
- Terms and conditions for each scholarship are detailed in the Further Information section below. For information about our RTP Scholarship Policy please refer to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure.
- RTP and DUPRS Stipends will be awarded to students as the result of a competitive process outlined in the ranking guidelines as below.
- Students receiving an RTP or DUPRS Stipend will be enrolled as on-campus full-time students.
- Applicants for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend must have completed at least four years of tertiary education studies and achieved a first class Honours degree or equivalent level of academic achievement as approved by Deakin, and meet all other minimum entry requirements according to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Admission, Selection and Enrolment Procedure. Please refer to the research degree entry pathways page for more information.
- Current students can apply for an RTP or DUPRS Stipend and will be assessed by the Faculty/Institute. Current students may not apply after they have completed more than 3 years of their doctoral course or 2 years of their masters course (or part-time equivalent).
- For information about the RTP Fees Offset selection process and the offer process for all scholarships please refer to the Higher Degrees by Research (HDR) Scholarships Procedure.
Application process (Research degrees)
The application process at Deakin differs depending on which Faculty or Institute you wish to study in.
Applicants applying in the following areas must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) prior to submitting a formal application. The Faculty or Institute will then advise if you should submit a formal application via the Applicant Portal.
- Faculty of Arts and Education
- Faculty of Business and Law
- Faculty of Science, Engineering and Built Environment
- Institute for Frontier Materials
*Expression of Interest (EOI) forms and associated application and intake dates can be found below for ‘Candidature only’ and ‘Candidature and Scholarship’ applications.
Applicants applying in the following areas, and those who have been invited to submit a formal application should follow the ‘Applying in eight steps’ instructions below.
- Faculty of Health
- Institute for Intelligent System Research and Innovation
- Applied Artificial Intelligence Institute (A2I2)
With travel restrictions preventing offshore international students commencing in Australia, the HDR admissions team will not be considering applications from offshore international students (unless applying through an international research partnership program). This will be reviewed regularly from late 2020 and applications will open when travel restrictions ease.
Deakin University greatly values the contributions of our international students to our research community. We encourage you to keep in contact with your proposed supervisor until applications open again.
For more details and specific deadlines, please visit HERE.
Source / Information: Official Website.