The Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP) is an undergraduate
program designed for students to take a wide variety of classes offered in English in the fields
of Culture and Society, Environment, Science and Technology.
Length of Study
1) One Year Course
Late September, 2020 – Mid-August, 2021
(11 months: equivalent to one Japanese academic year)
2) Half Year Course (Fall)
Late September, 2020 – Mid-February, 2021
3) Half Year Course (Spring)
Early April, 2021 – Mid- August, 2021
The accepted students are required to arrive in Sapporo by late September or first week of
April (see HUSTEP Calendar on pages 6-7 of HUSTEP brochure).
Program Completion Requirements
All students are required to take a certain number of classes pertaining to their visa.
*Students must take a minimum of 10 hours (around 7 classes) of classes per week to meet
(One Year Course Only)
1) Participants are required to obtain at least 20 credits during their year in the program.
2) Participants are required to obtain at least 10 credits in each semester, and at least 8 of
these credits should be from HUSTEP classes not including Independent Study.
3) Participants who complete the above requirements will receive a certificate of completion.
Number of Students Accepted
Approximately 50 students for each course
2 Information for Potential Applicants
To be eligible to apply for HUSTEP, students must:
- be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at overseas universities that have
concluded a student exchange agreement with Hokkaido University.
- be enrolled and pay tuition fees at their home universities as full-time students during the
entire period of study in Japan.
- have completed at least two years of undergraduate study at their own university prior to
arrival in Japan.
- have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
- be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL
iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5.*
- be able to arrive by late September or first week of April.
- In exceptional cases, a different internationally-recognized English test result may be
There is a screening process and NOT all students who apply will be accepted.
Read more at official website