Deadline for applications: November 1st, 2020, 4 PM
The objective of the Merit Scholarship Program for Foreign Students (PBEEE) is to support the internationalization of research activities in Québec’s institutions of higher education, to attract the best foreign researchers and students, and to promote abroad Québec universities and College Centres for the Transfer of Technologies (CCTT).
These scholarships are intended for foreign students or researchers from all research sectors (health, humanities and social sciences, arts and letters, natural sciences, and engineering) preselected by a Québec university, Synchronex, the China Scholarship Council (CSC), the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Mexico (SRE) or the National Council on Science and Technology of Mexico (CONACYT) to begin or continue studies or research activities in Québec. There is no privileged research sector.
Features of the scholarships
The Merit Scholarship Programs for Foreign Students has three components:
- Doctoral research scholarships (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W);
- Postdoctoral scholarships (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M);
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W)
Value of Scholarships
In addition to the scholarship, MEES offers all scholarship recipients an exemption from paying the higher tuition fees required for foreign students and the medical insurance coverage offered by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ).
Value of scholarships for each component
- Doctoral research scholarships (V1, 1B, 1C, 1I, 1IS, 1M, 1W): $25,000 a year. The duration of the scholarship is three years, with a possible extension of up to 12 months (monthly allowance of $1,000).
- Postdoctoral scholarships (V2, 2B, 2C, 2I, 2M): $35,000 for one year (cannot be renewed).
- Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3, 3B, 3C, 3I, 3IS, 3M, 3W): $3,000 a month for a period of up to four months.
All countries scholarships
Doctoral research scholarships (V1)
Postdoctoral scholarships (V2)
Short-term research or professional development scholarships (V3)
Québec-India Doctoral research scholarships (1I)
Québec-India Postdoctoral scholarships (2I)
Québec-India Short-term research or professional development scholarships (3I)
- Must meet all eligibility conditions at the closing date of the competition (a different closing date has to be confirmed for the students preselected by CSC).
- Must have been preselected by a university or Synchronex (a CCTT).
- For the Québec-China scholarship, must be preselected by the CSC.
- Cannot have already received a Merit Scholarship for Foreign Students from MEES, FRQNT or theFonds de recherche du Québec – Société et culture (FRQSC).
- Cannot be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada.
- Cannot have applied for permanent resident status under Canadian immigration law.
Restriction for programs of study
- Double doctoral degree programs are not eligible.
- Québec-Wallonia scholarship applicants must have previously studied in a French-language university-level institution in Belgium by the time they are granted their scholarship.