Be prepared for university study in the UK by familiarising yourself with UK culture and higher education.
Understand how to make the most of life and university study in the UK.
The prestige of a UK university education attracts students from all over the world. However, research shows that transition to UK study is not always easy. Many feel challenged by an unfamiliar educational system, cultural differences, and working in a different language.
This course will give you all the help you need to study and thrive in the UK. You’ll become familiar with studying in English and how higher education courses are structured, gaining a clear understanding of what to expect. You’ll also develop self-study skills, whilst getting a taste of life in the UK.
What topics will you cover?
- Characteristic features of higher education in the UK: active engagement, critical thinking, evidence-based argument, independent study, academic integrity
- Study modes: lectures, seminars, tutorials, student presentations, group assignments, their roles and functions
- The language skills you need to achieve success (academic writing, reading, listening and note-taking, speaking)
- Understanding assessment in higher education
- Support services available to students; library, English language support, counselling etc.
- Practical issues round living as a student in the UK: accommodation, making friends, what to bring, things you need to do on arrival