Deadline for applications: November 24, 2020
Swiss Government Excellence Postdoctoral Scholarships for foreign researchers are offered by The Swiss Government via the Federal Commission for Scholarships for Foreign Students FCS.
University of Basel / University of Bern / University of Fribourg / University of Geneva / University of Lausanne / University of Lucerne / University of Neuchâtel / University of St. Gallen / University of Zurich / Università della Svizzera italiana
Federal Institutes of Technology
Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne (EPFL), Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich (ETHZ), Research Institutes of the ETH Domain (PSI, WSL, EMPA, EAWAG), Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies (IHEID)
Universities of Applied Sciences
University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland / Bern University of Applied Sciences, University of Applied Schiences Northwest Switzerland / University of Applied Sciences Easter Switzerland / Lucerne University of Applied Sciences and Arts / University of Applied Schiences and Arts of Southern Switzerland / The Zürchze Facchochschule
Teaching and Research Institutes
Universities of teacher education
- The scholarship amounts to a monthly payment of CHF 3’500.
- For non-EU and non-EFTA grantees only: the FCS pays mandatory Swiss health insurance
- There are no family allowances
- No financial support for conferences
- Scholarship holders from non-EU and non-EFTA countries receive a flight allowance (lump sum) for a ticket back to their country of origin (provided at the end of the scholarship)
- Special CHF 300 housing allowance (paid once at the beginning of the scholarship).
- One-year half-fare public transportation card
- Support services and various trips, dinners and sightseeing tours organized for Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship holders
The Scholarship is valid only for full-time postdoctoral research in Switwerland. It is not valid for mixed research (part time in Switzerland and part time in another country). This scholarship is not compatible with field trips outside Switwerland. Therefore no possibility and no funding for fieldwork.
- Target group: Highly qualified postdoctoral researchers at the beginning of their academic career from all academic fields. No funding for sabbaticals.
- 12 months (starting in September); no prolongation possible. Grant applications for stays lasting less than 9 months will not be treated as a priority. Grant applications for stays lasting less than 6 months will be rejected.
Eligibility and Conditions
- PhD degree achieved after 31 December 2017 and before 31 July 2021 (PhD degree certificate) recognised by the Swiss University. As a proof, the degree has to be submitted to the Federal Commission for Scholarships before the start of the scholarship.
- Applicants who have been in Switzerland since more than one year at the beginning of the scholarship in September are not eligible. Reference document if applicable: residence permit to be added to the application documents.
- Applicants must provide a letter from an academic host processor (including his / her short CV) at the chosen Swiss university confirming why she/he is willing to supervise and support the postdoctoral research. Without such specific support letter, the application will be rejected.
- Not accepted as academic supervisors for postdoctoral scholarship applicants are their former PhD mentors and their co-directors for the cotutelle PhD if the academic supervisor is at a Swiss university.
- Applicants must have a research proposal including a timeframe. This is the centre piece of the application The applicant must devote all required attention to it.
- Applicants must be in command of the necessary language skills required for the postdoctoral research
- Applicants who have already benefited from a Swiss Government Excellence Scholarship are not eligible to apply for a second scholarships.
- Scholarship holders are expected to move to Switzerland during their grant period.
Source / More information for online application submission: Official Website.