Troy Deeney is expected to return to Watford training this week, while he will take a coronavirus test as part of the Premier League’s ‘Project Restart’ obligations. However, the striker missed the club’s Monday session with sickness.
Deeney initially opted out of returning to training, due to concerns over his own health and that of his five-month old young son, who has respiratory difficulties.
According to Sky Sports, despite being under the weather – though his sickness is reportedly unrelated to the coronavirus – Deeney is expected to rejoin the Watford squad as they undergo Covid-19 testing, with a view to resuming full group training.
Deeney announced last week he would return to action after extensive talks with government health advisers, most notably deputy chief medical officer Dr Jonathan Van-Tam.
The striker is quoted as saying: “Jonathan is doing really well, again, not only answering questions; he has also been honest enough to say at times: ‘I don’t have the answer’.
“The first conversation I had with Jonathan was maybe three weeks ago. The last conversation we had was on Friday and he had so much more information, so much more detailed analysis.
“So it just filled me with confidence that he’s trying his best to make sure that we have all the information. The risk factor will be down to players.”
Deeney has recently revealed he has also been the subject of online abuse and had people hurling insults at him in the street after he voiced his concerns about Project Restart.
“I saw some comments in regards to my son, people saying: ‘I hope your son gets coronavirus’,” Deeney said. “In a time where it’s all about mental health and everyone says: ‘Speak up, speak out,’ Danny Rose spoke out… and I spoke out and we just get absolutely hammered and battered for it.”