The Young Africa Works-IITA project is currently seeking applicants within Kaduna, Kano, and Lagos, to build their capacity to be trained and work within the supported value chain of rice, soybean, maize, cowpea, poultry, vegetable, mushroom, groundnut, fish and livestock.
The project and training will focus on Entrepreneurial and Employment track:
- Entrepreneurship Track: The program has identified several enterprises and successful agribusiness models attractive to youths. This will guide the intended beneficiaries to produce a bankable business plan at the end of this training track. The Young Africa Works-IITA project has partnered with financial institution such as Sterling Bank, NIRSAL to facilitate access to sources of finance and credit. Access to post-training support will be facilitated by the project.
- Employment Track: The program is aware of the skills gap between youth and potential employers, as a result, this training aims to better match these two interests. This will be conducted through commercial internships and mentorship in order to further advance skills development and find better jobs. Youth emerging from employment-track training are provided assistance to find decent jobs through professional placement services.
Young Africa Works-IITA Project Eligibility.
- Applicant must be aged 18 – 35 years;
- Must be ordinarily resident in the respective municipal area (and live within 5km radius of a cluster);
- Must have attained at least Junior Secondary School 3 (JSS3) for entrepreneurship track & a diploma for employment track;
- Willingness to commit at least 6 weeks for the training;
- Must demonstrate passion for agriculture;
- Interest in the project focus commodities;
- Must have access to a functional mobile phone;
- Affiliation to a registered association is an added advantage
Young Africa Works-IITA Project Benefits.
- A certificate will be issued upon completion of the training program.
How to Apply for Young Africa Works-IITA Project.
Applications can be completed and submitted online and also onsite.
Limited Forms are available at:
- Lagos State Agricultural Development Authority, 371 Oko-Oba, Agege Motor Rd, Agege, Lagos.
- IITA office, National Agricultural Extension and Research Liaison. Services (NAERLS) office complex, Zaria, Kaduna State.
- International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, Sabo Bakin Zuwo Road, Kano State.
Application period: November 12th to December 12th, 2020.
A follow-up interview may be conducted for the final selection of beneficiaries to be considered for the training.